With the current state-wide lockdown in effect we wanted to remind everyone of the Government assistance available.
One grant available is micro business grant which is available to businesses who have a turnover between $30,000 – $75,000.
If you’re a micro-business (small business, sole trader or not-for-profit organisation with aggregated annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000) impacted by the recent COVID-19 restrictions, you may be eligible to apply for a fortnightly payment of $1,500 to cover business expenses for the duration of the Greater Sydney lockdown.
The 2021 COVID-19 micro-business grant provides cash flow support for micro-businesses in New South Wales who have had their work impacted by the restrictions while continuing to incur business costs.
Eligible applicants can use the grant for business costs incurred from 1 June 2021 and for which no other government support is available, including:
- salaries and wages
- utilities and rent
- financial, legal or other advice
- marketing and communications
- perishable goods
- other business costs.
A qualified accountant, registered tax agent or registered BAS agent may apply for the grant on behalf of your business.
Your accountant will need to provide a letter of authority from you to show that they are authorised to act on behalf of your business if they are not listed as an associate on the Australian Business Register.
Applications will close after 11:59pm on 18 October 2021.
Use our guide to compare the 2021 COVID-19 support grants and work out which one suits your situation.
To be eligible for the grant, you must:
- have an active Australian Business Number (ABN) registered in, or demonstrate your business was primarily operating in, NSW as at 1 June 2021
- have had an aggregated annual turnover between $30,000 and $75,000 for the year ended 30 June 2020
- have experienced a decline in turnover of 30% or more due to the public health order over a minimum 2-week period within the Greater Sydney lockdown (began 26 June 2021 and due to end 28 August 2021), compared to:
- the same period in 2019, or
- the same period in 2020, or
- the 2-week period immediately before the start of the Greater Sydney lockdown (12 June to 25 June 2021)
- have business costs for which no other government support is available
- have not applied for either the 2021 COVID-19 business grant or the JobSaver payment
- maintain your employee headcount from 13 July 2021 while receiving payments from this grant, if you’re an employing business
- have this business as your primary income source, if you’re a non-employing business such as a sole trader.
Businesses that received the $1,500 small business fees and charges rebate can apply for this grant.
Certain entities, including those primarily earning passive income (such as rents, interest or dividends) or those with an ABN registered after 1 June 2021, are not eligible for this grant. See the full list of ineligible businesses in Attachment A of the guidelines.
Non-employing businesses are not eligible to apply for this grant if anyone associated with the business and deriving income from it has received the Commonwealth COVID-19 Disaster Payment.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- your proof of identity
- your valid ABN/ACN number
- your business banking details for payment
- a business activity statement (BAS)
- Australian income tax return.
Evidence to support eligibility
If your business is on the highly impacted industries list, you’ll be required to:
- declare your business meets the eligibility criteria
- submit evidence your business had an aggregated annual turnover of more than $30,000 and less than $75,000 for the year ended 30 June 2020
- lodge other supporting documents, as required, to demonstrate that your business meets the eligibility criteria.
If your business is not on the highly impacted industries list, in addition to the above, you’ll also be required to:
- submit evidence your business:
- has experienced a decline in turnover of 30% or more due to the public health order in the specified period, and
- had an aggregated annual turnover of more than $30,000 and less than $75,000 for the year ended 30 June 2020.
See the guidelines for more information.
If your micro-business does not meet all the eligibility criteria, you may still be able to apply for the grant. See the alternative circumstances outlined in the guidelines.
Successful applications may be subject to an audit. Service NSW can request a combination of the following documents to support its determination of eligibility and use of funds under this grant’s Terms and Conditions:
- accountant’s letter
- prior business activity statements
- Australian tax returns
- profit and loss statements prepared by a qualified accountant
- receipts and invoices from sales
- business bank account statements.
You’ll need to keep all documentary evidence used for your application for a minimum of 5 years.
Proof of identity
Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:
- Australian driver licence
- Medicare card
- Australian passport
- Australian birth certificate
- Australian travel visa
- Australian citizenship certificate
- Australian certificate of registration by descent
- Australian ImmiCard.
How to apply
- Check you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Have your documentation and evidence ready for uploading.
- Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
Note: You cannot save and resume your application once you’ve started.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Select and verify your identity documents.
- When your identity is verified, select ‘Continue’.
- Confirm your personal details.
- Enter your business details and answer the eligibility questions, then select ‘Next’.
- Provide information about your decline in turnover and upload your supporting documents, then select ‘Next’.
- Enter your bank details, then select ‘Next’.
- Review your application.
- Check the declaration boxes.
- Select ‘Submit’ to complete your application.
When you submit your application, you’ll receive a confirmation email with your application reference number. If you do not receive this email within 5 minutes after completing your application, please check your junk mail folder, and then call 13 77 88 if you’re still unable to locate the email.
After your application is received, it will be reviewed by Service NSW. We’ll contact you if we need additional information to support your application. If your application is approved, we’ll transfer funds to your specified bank account within 5 to 7 business days from the approval date.
If you’re not able to complete your application online, please call us on 13 77 88.
- Only one application can be submitted for a single ABN.
- Only one application is permitted where there are multiple businesses under a single ABN.
- Payments will be made in arrears with the first payment backdated to 26 June 2021.
- The 2021 COVID-19 micro-business grant cannot be used to cover expenses for which other government support is available, such as government fees and charges that would be covered by the small business fees and charges rebate.
- Employees can receive Commonwealth COVID-19 Disaster Payments if their employer is receiving this grant.
If you feel your business is eligible for this grant please contact our office to assist with your application. If you are unsure if you are eligible it is recommended you contact our office so we can review your file and check if you are eligible or not.
Stay safe everyone.